Appointed Project Director for Birmingham City University’s New City Centre Campus
This assignment supported a mission-critical need for the University which was seeking to consolidate its operations onto 3 sites. A new campus, supported by the City Council, adjoining landowners and other developers was to be established on a brown field inner city site.
The assignment was to establish:
- The project brief
- Accommodation standards
- Reporting arrangements, protocols and procedures
- Budget and delivery programme
It was also to:
- Arrange for the preparation of a planning application (and the necessary consultations, including liaising with CABE)
- Arrange for the preparation of an environmental impact study
- Appoint the professional team
- Recruit an internal project team and establish a project office
- Transfer the lead management role to the hybrid team
In discharging these duties, we also supported the University’s Directorate to establish the business case for the project; provided data in support of property acquisition and disposal and liaised with legal and property advisors; established academic and student consultation fora; provided press briefings; provided budget and cash flow data in support of funding negotiations with HEFCE, the banks etc.; established a micro web site to keep the public and students informed and to provide a feedback vehicle and established and chaired topic workshops at which all stakeholders were represented.